Pages

Monday, October 16, 2017

A Pencil in His Hand

Today I had a conversation with a man I had prayed over in the early days of my mission. He works very hard to provide for his family. I have often thought how unfair the work force is over here. Twelve hour days are normal and getting only 500 pesos (approximately $10) a day is average. Of course there are the extremely wealthy, but the average person gets more or less about 500 pesos a day. This man is a hard working man who doesn't dare ever rock the boat or stop for more schooling or even look at other jobs as the odds of getting a different steady job are slim. He is cheerful, creative, and goes out of his way to do a good job and find answers to any problems that come up in the dental clinic.
When I thought about his life, the service he gives the church (he's been a bishop and is now on the  High council) the time and effort he puts in for everyone and the limited time he has with his family I asked the Lord to bless him and his family. After a few heart felt prayers the answer that came back in my mind...not incredulous.....not dismay.........surprising is the work I'm looking for. The answer was, "you are the answer you are praying for." Ah, what? ......   So I looked at this man and his family with new eyes. If I was the answer, how was I suppose to act?  I adopted the family as my own and started acting as a grandmother. I hope he didn't feel too bulldozed over as I decided how to answer my own prayers. I gave his family gifts for birthdays and then gifts for fun and finally I straight out asked him how I could be of service as his family was so far away from the office I would never be close enough to figure it out. After a few days and some really serious chats, he told me of the need for shoes and a sewing machine for his wife. (Of course he was fine and didn't need anything - typical man.)
My Clayton Valley first ward came through for me big time in helping me give a gift from our Relief Society to his wife and their Relief Society (though I later came to find out she works in Young Women's - so her efforts help a little bit younger sisters). When I went for Michael's wedding in California, my ward sent me back with three suitcases full of sewing goods.  This man's wife cried when we dropped off the shoes and sewing materials to her and the family. I flat out asked her what her husband would need and she mentioned shoes for him (which I subsequently got).
Today I heard "the rest of the story" or maybe just another chapter. This man had some unexpected bills and found there was a gap between the times his salary would kick in. He explained the problem to his wife and she used the materials from the California ward to sew up some pillow cases which she took to the market and sold and bought food for the family. How awesome is it that the Lord provided the answer to a problem two months before the problem arose?
I am totally in awe of being a witness of the Lord's tender mercies and how He lets us be part of them. I really didn't have a lot to do with the whole thing except an idea and desire - maybe it was a prompting from God to act. Anyway, like Mother Teresa I know nothing really came from me - though maybe through me - a pencil in His Hand.

“I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.”


― Mother Teresa



No comments: