Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Last Day

It came as a shock when I realized that "Last Day" meant this was Jonah's last day at work. I didn't get it in the morning and preceded as if it was a normal day. At 11 Sister Stewart was making plans for a farewell lunch. What? "Just in case Jonah doesn't get re-hired," was her reply. I was aghast. Wait, I thought it was a sure thing that they would extend her employment.
So Sister Stewart and I went to the HR department where it was carefully explained just why the decision to extend her employment wouldn't be made until next Monday. Which meant this was Jonah's last day - though there is hope we'll have a welcome back party on Monday.
It started raining and the gloomy clouds rolled in matching my mood exactly. Not the heavy hard kind of rain, just the persistent sad rain.
It makes me realize even if they hire her for two more months there will be a day of sorrow, of parting. Jonah's Aunt Divine is moving to the province and her soon-to-be sister-in-law Roma will be married in December so life is changing no matter what way I stack it and Jonah will have no where to live without a permanent job. This was always a temporary job until Sister Stewart could get all the nuts and bolts of running a charitable dental clinic moving smoothly.
Some make a habit of not getting involved to eliminate the sorrow, but I've found the joy and love outweigh those days of sorrow. I'm reminding myself of that today. I dropped Jonah off at her home hoping that I see her on Monday - realizing there will come a day when I won't see her again.
I think I'll go take a shower - I've found there it is easier to mop up after a good cry.

No comments: