Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Gathering Places - Sewing Class

 I watched Elder and Sister Hymas struggle and push for the gathering places in each stake to come to fruition. They were over the Young Adults and knew the up-hill battle they have for jobs, stability, and family life. The need to have a network and a place to gather is very important. While I was here last time in Accra, I got to got to one stake who had figured it out. They had a series of classes of all kinds being taught in their stake center. It was opened almost every day for all types of industry that was being learned - by many more than the young adults in the stake.

Our ward has some sisters who are attending the sewing class at the gathering place in our stake. I didn't go to the hair and make-up classes that were going on at the same time. I lean more to sewing.  Luckily for me it is right next door where we go to church. The first time I dropped by, I noticed Patricia from our ward. She is in the Primary organization, though I do not know what her calling is. She came with Juliet for supper and I got to know her family a little better. Seeing Patricia and a few other faces I recognized I wanted to find a way to get them a project so they could sew on real fabric instead of just paper and a very cheap muslin. 

Comfort bought some material for me and I took it over to the class and showed them what I wanted table napkins - four seams with mitered corners - and told them I have stockings for them to make for Christmas celebrations. Freeman and Comfort are both looking for red material for the stockings.

I sure could use my sewing materials! The shipment of our goods still hasn't been turned over to us. Customs will let it go "soon".  I am looking forward to having my scissors, thread from the US, and all my extra material. I feel I can be of use to a beginning sewer. 

I can't wait to see how the ladies do!

This is Patricia from our ward

This is Gifty from our ward



The gentleman on the left is the teacher of the class



No comments: