Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Reach Out and Lift One

 I have been striving to live up to President Nelson's birthday wish to "reach out and lift one who needs help".  I can't say that all my efforts have been to those who actually need my help, but I have tried to think of ways to uplift someone every day. It has been an interesting challenge on some days. 

Today was nice because Sister White asked if I could do some laundry for an incoming missionary couple. Perfect, I didn't have to come up with any idea today. She dropped it off on her way to work and will pick it up on her way home. 

Of course living in Africa I am presented with ideas and it is easy to find people who would like and need a lot of things. The minute I saw the ukulele group of ladies who brought soft-sided bags or cardboard boxes to haul their instruments in, I thought of Sister Addy. I knew her business could just soar if she were to make some cases for the ukuleles and the missionary sisters could see them. Yes! On Monday I got six orders for Sister Addy. I was able to send cedis with her husband to her that day. Success!

Some days it is as simple as loading up a carton with apples, oranges, and snacks with a bottle of water for someone who stops by my house. Some times I actively search out ladies who are learning to sew and bring them material to make something. But mostly I have been trying to acknowledge people who often get overlooked or forgotten that do serious work everyday for the betterment of all. I have made so many batches of banana bread that I can't remember how many. Juliet has been so helpful in making drinks to go with the banana bread and giving to different groups in the area office. I am not really sure if that counts as these are all people who don't need help - it is just an acknowledgement. 

The thought comes up that President Nelson's birthday wish is a little more personal. He wants us to reconcile with someone, get inspiration on a name, find those who are discouraged, and get answers from God on who to reach out to. I have been looking around and coming up with fun ideas. I sure hope that counts in heaven as I haven't done any really hard work or soul searching. Though come to think of it.....I did make a call to a brother and a sister who were depressed.....I'm not so sure if I lifted their spirits or not.

I told Jeffrey he was covered as I spent his first paycheck to help out a few families. Good thing he was happy with my efforts. Money helps but it sure isn't the answer. I have given so many cedis that changed nothing. But some have given boys a chance for education and some money made a little boys so happy that he could make music. One lady has terrible hospital bills and I could make a small dent. 

I've decided on the balance that I'm doing as the President asked. It's enough for now. Maybe tomorrow will have a better answer.

No comments: