Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Imagining Old Africa

Reading National Geographic my whole life, I have an idea of what the original Africa used to be. But living in Accra is a modern city with lots of color and variety. A very different idea and knowledge of Africa. Going to the Bandia reserve in Senegal was a great place for my imagination of the old Africa to come out. For a great description here is a link.

The hyenas are kept in their own enclosure so they don't eat up the other animals

With Nathan along we noted some really beautiful birds

This baobab tree is as close to an elephant that I have gotten

I am told the male ostrich will attack anyone in matting season

The hen is not as impressive. The interesting thing is they lay their eggs in a communal nest that the males take a turn guarding.

This is with a telescopic lens as these Impala's run at the least bit of movement

As we drove further into the reserve, we started to see bigger and more impressive antelope - that didn't run away from the truck.

If you have a good imagination, this could be a unicorn

But this one has bigger horns


Just look at the twists on those horns!



Ok, so its not a unicorn....



Lion King theme starts about now..
I think this is a hornbill. It seemed to follow us as I saw it all over the park. Maybe there are many of them or maybe this one flew along with us. But I kept thinking about Lion King every time I saw him.

I must have too many pictures in this post as it won't allow me to add any others, so....after the antelope come the bigger animals. Coming next.

No comments: