Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Juliet comes for dinner - after she makes it!

Dinner Invite

I asked Juliet and her family to come to dinner, but I told Juliet if she wanted something good to eat, she'd probably have to make it. She asked what my favorite things are so far and I answered Jollof Rice and Cabbage Stew. 

Juliet came over in the late morning and made the Rice and Stew in between getting a meal on for someone coming to the temple. It must have been a very stressful day as she had three or four commitments. I am glad she could fit us in!

Juliet with her beautiful smile!


 


After a little talking, I discovered the missionaries she expected were the missionaries from our ward, not hers. It was going to be her family and the missionaries. I asked Jeffrey if he could ask our missionaries to come over for dinner (five hours before) - mostly at the last minute. We expected Juliet, her husband, and two sons. At six o'clock the missionaries show up but no Akrong family. Her son called me and asked if his mother was there. I told him not yet and tried to tell him where we lived as he caught an uber driver. Juliet shows up and said her husband and other son couldn't make it. Juliet and I walk out to see if we can see her son Michael and when we look over the rail, there he is getting out of the car, so we yell hello and went to bring him up. The apartment building managers always have visitors sign in. I noted that was done in the Philippines also. I haven't visited many apartments in America that don't have a buzz in, so I don't know if people sign in a lot or not.

The dinner was delicious and the conversation started slow. Juliet was very tired from running around and one of the missionaries didn't say anything unless addressed personally. But after awhile the conversation flowed and we got to know each other a little bit. Michael is planning on going on a mission next year after school graduation. When we sat around talking, Jeffrey asked Michael what section of the Doctrine and Covenants he wanted to discuss. We had a good discussion and then Jeffrey opened it up to general questions. I was interested to note that women holding the priesthood and the length of mission service were questions that were raised.

Michael asked about ages and the difference between women and men's time frames. I told him my grandmother had gone on a mission for 2 years and my grandfather for 2 1/2 years. One of the early missionaries went for 5 years. Jeffrey explained that while he was out, the time span was cut from two years to a year and a half for everyone. But later the mission presidents said that they needed that last six months when the missionary was fully trained to be effective. So, the time was changed back to two years. The principle is to go on a mission, the time is discretionary. We had a good time and a good discussion.

You have to be talented to take good selfies

Our guests!

When it was time to go home, I had the missionaries and Michael pack up the banana bread, while Juliet and I made up a containers of Jollof rice, vegetables, and pineapple each for those going home. Jeffrey was a little sad to find all of the rice gone but agreed it went to people who would appreciate it. We are going to have to do this again soon.

No comments: