Pages

Friday, April 23, 2021

Tidbits along the hike to Wli Falls

This is Best. He is 14 years old and makes his living by being a porter or help to tourists walking to the Falls. He walked with Lorinda Belnap when she waited to make sure all the missionaries got on the right trial - we were quite strung out. After meeting up with the other missionaries, Best just stayed walking behind the group. He offered a few times to carry our bags. Lorinda realized he wanted to earn money and gave him her bag. My bag is the green and red one - with water bottles (makes it heavy) and he eventually carried Brother Despain's bag with a drone camera in it.

 Best is the oldest child in his family and wants to be a soldier or scientist when he grows up. I told him he could do both if he were the type of soldier who is a scout and makes a new area livable for those coming later. He has a good grasp of English and translated for other porters. He wanted to use my camera when we got to the Falls. With a fervent prayer in my heart, I let him take pictures. He became a favorite of the others there. 

Annie Price and Best

Nathan and Best

Best took a picture of the group at the Falls - only the Gibbs aren't here as they left earlier.

Sister Despain (in blue on the right) saved me. We had walked about 200 yards up the trail, when she stops me and hands me a ziplock bag with a wet towel in it. She knew how I react horribly to heat and had brought it from home just in case!! I feel very loved.

Knowing how unstable I am walking down anything, I left before the group was done. Sure enough I was the last one in the parking lot as they all passed by on the way down. Ah, to be young again.

No comments: