Pages

Friday, March 25, 2022

I Am Coming To Show You Something

 David Bolarinwa called me and told me he wanted to show me something. I am wondering why I am on his list to show all his works until I remembered that in December when he 'showed' me something, I texted Susie, then Susie got a lot of different siblings to buy some things he was showing that day. 

This artist lives in Nigeria and comes to Ghana for work. I do not know where he does his actual painting, carving etc. because he only rents a room. The owners of the house sold the house, so David is living in a hotel until he can find a new room. Now he goes to Nigeria for a few weeks, comes here for a few weeks and then goes back. I can only hope that he finds people to buy his things as that is a tough way to make a living.

I personally am not going to buy anything else. I have no idea how I am going to fit everything in my suitcase. David showed me some square panels of canvas that have embroidered pictures. His cousin made these and David is showing them.

I asked the price and he said 750 cedis




I tried to get close so you can see the threading in the artwork

This is pricey artwork and I don't know who I am suppose to show it to so it will sell. I am still trying to figure out why David is coming to show me all these things as I am not someone who buys lots of art or even very much artwork. No I am not going to buy, seems to mean, let me show you some more.

David also brought more of his own work:



David also showed me some napkins with the same colors and motif. So is this a tablecloth? Or is it something to hang on the wall. I didn't ask. After giving him food to eat and water. He then asked if he could leave his artwork here while he went back to Nigeria. 

Ah, the answer. All the showing was his way of saying good morning and observing the rituals. He just needed a trusted place to store his work while he travels back and forth. Mystery solved.

No comments: