Pages

Monday, September 25, 2023

New traditions and observations

 Jeffrey was looking around for adventures to do with Jayson. We have decided to adopt the tradition of taking our grandchildren, when they turn 10, on an adventure. He decided on the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, and three events in the Bay Area - i.e. beach, Sharks Game (hockey), and the observatory - for Jayson to choose from.. 

While looking around and talking with Jayson, he decided that we would go to the Lick Observatory ourselves as it didn't look like Jayson would pick that option. Oh what fun we had! I didn't even know that Hamilton Peak was famous - at least the sign at the observatory said it was famous - much less that it existed. Lots of mountains around the Bay Area. I have gone over the Santa Cruz mountains many times and camped on the shore mountains there, but inland is more mountain ranges and adventures! 

The Lick Observatory was a really cool and fun place to visit. Actually the twisty, windy, hairpin turns were an adventure all by itself. Good thing I used the ladies room before I left. Heights and I don't agree and when the hairpin curve with the cliff is on my side of the car, I know my knuckle grip isn't going to save me if we slide over the edge. Which we didn't (this time)! It's a long eleven miles.

The tour of the observatory began at 5:30 pm. They time it so the sun is setting when we are walking around the outside of the dome and a clear shot across to the ocean. Well, if it weren't for the smoke haze, we were told we could have seen the Monterey peninsula. The trip was awesome. I think Jayson would have liked it. We sure did!




No comments: