Pages

Monday, May 16, 2022

Monday starts out with extra

 On Monday I had two loads of laundry done and hung up, my emails delivered, and had spread out Dumevi's material to cut out more trousers. A knock comes at my door and there is Juliet. I had figured that since she had a refrigerator that I wouldn't see her on Mondays as she would be cooking at home. She said she came to pick up her things in my fridge and that she didn't have electricity yet. 

I wondered what she was talking about, though I quickly picked up the material and got the kitchen ready to cook in. In Accra you go to a little shop and buy a card that gives you a certain amount of electricity. When the amount you paid for is all gone, the lights go out. Interesting. 

Just like a data card for a phone, only it is for your electric. No bill, just your power goes out when its done. I can't believe all the things I am still learning about the complications of living in Accra. No address, you buy a post box if you are going to get mail. You may or may not have a number on your house or business, but you give/get directions to the nearest big place like a school, church, fixed built shop, Mall, or station and find your way from there. No running water, you pay to have a big truck come by and fill up your barrel. Your phone works as long as you have data. Garbage is burned, unless you have access to a big container and garbage service. I haven't asked how the sewer works as that may be too much information. 

So Juliet is at my house making Tuesday dinners and I think stalling to say goodbye to this ritual every Monday morning. She stayed until 2 pm when she is usually done at noon.



Just about 20 minutes after Juliet came, Michael called! I looked at the time and realized it was either just after 2 am or 3 am for him and wondered why he was calling. Makynlee and Isla had both gotten sick and Julia and Makynlee had finally fallen asleep when Isla started crying. Michael drover her around getting her back to sleep and decided to call mom to stay awake. We talked about a whole range of things while Isla would wake up and fall asleep as he drove around. When the bakery opened, he went in to get bagels for the family breakfast and I let him go. I decided not to stop talking or listening until I knew he was safe, everything else in my life could wait. 

Maybe that's why Juliet stayed so long, so we could chat for awhile. After she went home I cut out the trousers and life is good.

No comments: