Saturday, August 10, 2024

I should quit looking back

 It was back in July, so I should be over it. Maybe it's because I have little paper cut types of scratches over my body and I'm just a little miserable. Or maybe it's because she put his PICTURE up for all the sisters to see.

Someone in our group whom I will not name, posted on the Ghana Sister's group a picture of a man who doesn't have an arm below his right elbow, and has one finger with three small twisted fingers on the left. When he was standing out of the bishop's office one week, I wondered how he got dressed and went to work - and what did he work at?

To see his picture posted on the group site with a warning to beware of this guy because "he tried to take advantage of senior couples," made me mad.

What?!! She doesn't post pictures of the other three ladies who are "investigators", or friends of the senior missionaries - who happen to need things, and don't have a deformed hand? Yes, I can seriously say there are MANY people who want to take advantage......but to post his picture......no, just no.

When I saw the post, I made a batch of muffin that I kind of beat the batter instead of softly folding while listening to the Book of Mormon. And wouldn't you happen to know? Alma 34: 28-29 comes up -

"28 And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith.

29 Therefore, if ye do not remember to be charitable, ye are as dross, which the refiners do cast out, (it being of no worth) and is trodden under foot of men."

So me being still mad, I posted back those versus and said I would rather be taken advantage of than tell God I didn't help this man.  After a few minutes I thought maybe that was harsh so I said I was also tired of being looked at like an ATM machine. 

Well, there were a flurry of posts and they were all softening my response. Later the secretary to the President quoted what the missionaries were suppose to do and not do for investigators and those who beg for help or aid. 

But.....I am not a missionary. I am a member of the church who gives to those in need of succor. Granted I now give out food sacks instead of money. At least they won't go hungry. I cannot help everyone with their rent - and that is a hotly contended and needed service.

No one has posted anymore pictures of people to "beware" of.

Juliet and her friend are carrying my bags from the fruit seller to my home. Acts of kindness.


No comments: