Pages

Friday, February 2, 2024

Connection to Viking grounds

 Orkney Islands are beautiful in a stark way. There are not many trees, it has undulating hills and sheer cliffs. As we traveled to the coastline the sun parted and shone down for our visit to the Viking grounds. Because the tide was high the guide cautioned us not to go over the causeway to the excavated ruins.







I'm not sure why (maybe because the sun came out) I felt a connection with the past as I stood this side of the causeway and thought about ancestors who had gone before me and played an influence that I do not know about. I kept thinking about all the people who had traveled and been so many places that Diana is telling stories about, and how we are their descendants. Could my relatives lived in such a stark and beautiful place before moving on somewhere else? The interesting thing is Laura said she felt a connection last year when she came. 



I took a picture as we passed this intriguing ruin, and I think some other siblings stopped and looked.



No comments: