Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

OK, throw it out

 On one of the last shelves I emptied in the kitchen, I found a set of old cell phones. They have been there for years - "just in case" someone ever needed them. Well, today I have an iPhone and will never go back to a phone with so much less capability. So it is very safe to throw out. 

In fact, it has been safe to throw away for years as phones get better and better at doing more than texting and calling. The real reason they have been sitting there is because they represented my freedom as a mom, they helped me track down boys after a long distance run, or tell me where they were headed after school, or where they needed to be picked up.  I had an attachment to what they represented and couldn't throw them out because of the memories. 

I'm okay now as one - time has passed, and two - the feelings are just memories.

But that just shows how hard it is to throw away things I don't need or really want anymore just because there is a visceral effect when I pick it up.....there is that garage still looming with all kinds of memories and attachments to go through and throw away......

Four phones from T-Mobile that saved my effort and time as a mom. Good times.

I had enough one day and went out to the nearest cell phone store and bought phones and a plan so I wouldn't have one son waiting after a piano lesson because I couldn't find the cross country runners after their practice, and I worried I wouldn't be back home in time to take another somewhere else. The beauty of communication. 

No comments: