Pages

Saturday, February 3, 2024

Dockside at Cobh (Don't miss the Fish n Chips!)

 Since the captain of the ship sailed past Isle of Mann and Dublin in a day and night we enter Cobh in the morning. We were told to look for the painted houses - and sure enough all colors of houses and businesses were bright against the cloud filled skies and dark hills. It is a lot like the hills in San Francisco which I found amazing the first time I saw it.

I can't help but think this would be a great jig-saw puzzle. I might have to try it.


Jeffrey and a few others were fascinated by the cathedral and went to check it out for any history, facts, or interesting features. Steven saw a place to trace your genealogy and made an appointment. The rest of us decided to tour the waterfront and colored buildings to see what was there. We pass a museum that showed where the Titanic survivors came back into port. I think a few went to see that. 


I took off wandering with some of my siblings (this is when it is truly great to have so many - lots of places to go and still have company) and found a lady selling jams and preserves from the fruit there. Since Rachel Baldwin (well she is married now, what is her name.....?) is taking care of our house, cat, and mail, I thought I'd pick her up some straight from Ireland. 

I lingered and talked with the proprietor taking in the air. That's when I noticed that Donald was sticking around. Ah.....what? He was waiting for me? That's when I noticed my brothers were along the street with all of my sisters. Asking Donald about it, he said it was a scout thing. You don't leave anyone behind, someone always goes ahead, and others stay with those in the. middle. So I caught up - but there was always a brother somewhere around. 

I did look for some wool, so Susie could have another color for her remembrance scarf she is making.  

Well......I found my sisters are shopaholics or something close to it. Every single store. They had to go in a see. They had to see what bargains they could find. I walked into two stores trying to help out and realized they were having fun. I left them to it and stayed outside with the boys who were waiting and being sherpas with all the bags and such. I composed pictures in my mind and chatted with various people. I think I'm a little allergic to shopping. 

Making or talking to friends as they go

Watch how those bags get passed around



Polly was teach us how to do the Afghan stitch in crocheting

If you happen to want to learn it yourself, it is a dense stitch that looks cool in a blanket or scarf.

Those bags get around!

Here's the ultimate Halloween shopper!! Learn something new everyday.


These two were prepared for just what they wanted

But it was all worth the waiting around when we went to lunch for delicious fish and chips right on the way back to the ship.  Later I showed pictures to Kelsi and she said that is the same place they went to.

It is Jacob's Ladder along with the Waters Edge Hotel. You can look right out over the ocean.

Delightful

Nothing better than real fish and chips.
When I went to pay for lunch, I found my brother Steven had already paid for us all! Wow, very nice.
I recommend this place! Everyone was happy with what they got. 



No comments: