Saturday, September 21, 2024

A Question Answered

 I have noted since I've been here that I seem to be the object of service. Every time I go out to shop on the street for fruit and bread, someone comes to hold my bag. Whenever I am with Juliet she automatically takes any bags I am holding. Whenever I go shopping with Dumevi he almost instinctively takes my bags and pushes my cart. But then I was in a market shop and the lady taking my order carried my goods to the taxi. Now that was interesting as I didn't know her. It has happened quite a few times at church and in the neighborhood. 

I thought maybe it had to do with being a white person for some reason. But I noted two young white girls in the market who were carrying their own bags. Every single time we have a dinner on Sunday, the wife always picks up the dishes and sometimes the men want a broom. I have to really insist that I have a dishwasher and a vacuum to use after they leave. Please sit and enjoy the evening. So I've been wondering what this phenomenon is?

When Comfort came (with the dinner!) and then afterwards stacked all the dishes and then insisted that she wash them and then swept up the floor, I finally got the answer.

I am a grandma. In Ghana the grandmother doesn't wash the dishes and sweep the floor when she has guests. I guess she doesn't carry her bags either.

Ah, so this is the good news, bad news. I know now why everyone is so helpful. I am old.

Comfort last night in my kitchen

Juliet carrying my shopping bags


No comments: