Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Languages

Picture taken by Asante

 There were visitors from the Ivory Coast and another French speaking country that came to the temple today. I had a shift from 1 to 5 though the session got out a little after 6 pm - I got home about 6:30. I had fun! We had French speakers everywhere along with a few other languages, while English was a small minority. The sessions were all run in French, so I wore headphones and when I helped out, I had a page with French and English on it. I had to hope they were saying the right things at the right time. It was a challenge that I found fun and inspiring. I love to mingle with people from many different countries. 

For one segment of my shift, I asked if the ladies could just read along in French while I said the English version - but they couldn't read! So they got two parts in French and one part I just did in English. I really need to learn a few paragraphs in another language!


Juliet came over in the morning to drop off containers that used to have banana muffins. She collects the empty containers back from the departments that she gives out the full ones to. so nice for me. 

I had to smile as I was frittering away some time and when Juliet came over, I had to start getting something good accomplished. I remember that I would be at the temple today and thought about making Fried Rice as that would be an easy heat-up thing for Jeffrey. Juliet offered to make him Jollof rice. It was perfect! She used the. ingredients in my own home and I had no small green peppers, so it was just right!!

When I came home late, it didn't matter as Jeffrey had already been taken care of. We had a nice chat about scriptures and the resurrection of the just. I found it fascinating.  It was all in English! Though to be sure, the scriptures are their own language that can be tricky.

No comments: