Saturday, September 14, 2024

Pathway to Nowhere

 About 10 years ago in 2014, I began a dream to finish my bachelors degree. Pathways was being advertised as the way to "finish what you started." I am not sure what other advertising they used or said as that was the element that sold me on going back to school in my 50's to finish what I started in my 20's. 

It was exciting, hard, interesting, and both kinds of phun and fun. I am glad I continued after we were called on a mission in 2016 to finish up my studies in 2019 and finally get my degree. I feel like I was a much better missionary and person because I went to school. I do know I had realized that I could do hard things and learn new tricks. 

When I arrived in 2020 and we began our mission in Accra, I still had the satisfaction and furor of how good getting my degree was. I talked with several missionaries. One in particular was from Nigeria and was intelligent and hoping for a better life for himself. He had already begun in Pathways and was looking to finish school when he got back home. We talked about life and schooling and how difficult it was to find jobs. 

Two and a half years later, I meet this returned missionary again and he is married and moving on in life. But I was very saddened when I asked how Pathways turned out for him to hear him say the same thing I've been hearing from other young people who have tried out Pathways. He said, "It is the Pathway to Nowhere." 

Evidently the program here is touted as a vocational school, but it doesn't have the elements necessary to get a job. I am not sure if the advertising is off, or if there just are not enough classes, or if the degrees from an online school just do not have the necessary requirements to enable these young men and women to find a good job.

I remember going to a wood carvers home in the Philippines. We had traveled for many hours to get to his place to see where he did his work. The whole town was dedicated to functional and art wood carving. He must have grown up around the whole craft. I thought about the many hours he had to travel to sell his wares to the missionaries at the Area office as he was a member of the church and knew which items senior missionaries would want, but most especially - pay for.

But on his wall was a degree certificate of Engineering. My heart sank when I realized how much time, effort, and especially money was spent for a degree that he could not find a job in. He had a family that he needed to support. Wood carving was what he did.

I am very sad that the young adults are not finding what they need in an area that I felt so happy and strong in. I am sad that the job situation is so bleak. I am sad that the educational program that is touted to be worldwide, is only serviceable to those in the United States. It is so sad. I hope an answer is found.                       

No comments: