Friday, September 27, 2024

Monday was a holiday - for some

 The area office enjoyed the holiday and many others did too. But not everyone. There were marketers who wanted to sell goods, there are those who want to get things done because no one would be there, and then there were the demonstrators who wanted to show how complicated they could make life.

Baaba and I went on an adventure. We took off from the area office lot and caught a tro-tro across the street so we could go to TK Beads for a Relief Society event in October. 

One who didn't have the day off. He was spraying all the bushes

So the Tro-tro drivers and their compadres didn't have a day off either. So we took off in the Tro-tro.

Now that was an adventure! The Tro-tro whizzed in traffic and out to the sidewalk or road edge to pick up people with the compadre of the driver shouting out the destination. He was also the one who took cedes for the ride from each passenger. People would jump on and off and some like us were there for a couple of hours. The potholes and swerving over to pick up people along with the heat of bodies made this a phun interesting trip. I would say educational. 

I kept thinking about all those who take a tro-tro to work every day to get to work at the Area Office. If you added a little rain and mud it would make it an effort. Luckily for Baaba and I it was a bright sunny day. 

The ladies and people at TK Beads didn't have a holiday either. It was nice to go shopping - BUT I was overwhelmed by the many, many choices. Not having an artistic side, the rows and rows of beads to turn into a creation just made my head hurt. I let Baaba be the creation expert and let her choose all the breads. I did pick up some bracelets (already completed) that I thought my girls would enjoy. Corina and maybe Lilly and Makynlee (well Isla would want whatever Makynlee had) along with their mamas and aunts might like one. 

We took the tro-tro  back but I didn't find it as great. My knees did not fit in the seat so I had to trade off putting them to one side or the other. The way back seem to have more traffic and many more stops. Baaba was very considerate and bought an extra seat so I could have room to move.

Then! There was a demonstration going on in Accra proper and we went a mile or two out of our way to go around the blockade. We ultimately got a taxi for the last half mile home as we got close enough.

She was prepared -- to keep her hair tidy in the wind coming from the windows and a sewing project.

Baaba and I at TK Beads


The man standing by the door is the driver's compadre 


No comments: