Monday, June 17, 2024

Adjustments

The song refrain goes through my head quite often lately, "....in my father's house are many mansions.......I go to prepare a place for you......" I feel like I live in one of those prepared mansions. This is a VERY nice apartment and home. 

But.... do I know how to live here?
The fabulous oven is duel fuel, gas on the stovetop and electric in the oven. The learning curve to cook with gas is ongoing. I had to make a second pot of rice on Sunday before my guests came as I burnt the first pot. A low flame of gas is still very hot. What is low and what is medium?  These super deluxe pots have their own learning curve also. After a pot of spaghetti, I was pouring the water off and dropped the entire contents into a bowl of soapy water that was in the sink. I didn't tell Jeffrey how many times the noodles had been rinsed off and he didn't seem to notice a deficiency. I definitely found out that one of the settings in the oven must be convection because the fish and fries were done way too fast. Actually, we have decided that Jeffrey will make the fish and chips in the future and I will make the things I do best in the oven like chicken divan, Shepards pie, and chicken pot pie. (Though I will look up the symbols online and see if I can figure out what each one is). 

So though I have the best of living place, I still have to go through the learning curve just like every time we go to a different place. 
Having lived here before, I note that those around 'know' that I know what I'm doing...It is just a wee bit intimidating as those around me just bank on me to pick up what I need to know and do it.......what is "it"? Like knowing about four women in the ward and the expectation I feel is that I will do a good job like we did in the North Ridge ward. It took us months to get acquainted and start running around with the young adults.

On the plus side I can make banana bread, and now some of the missionaries like the peanut butter play dough. Reputations are made through the simple things. Hopefully I can transfer some of my "expertise" to my new calling and ward.

I already know I can do new things. An old dog learning new tricks.


I've decided I am going to take good care and not let this plant die......I just hope it thrives. Luckily I have my good friend Laura Nausin who is a plant rescuer. Too bad she lives a few thousand miles away.....still I can do this....and the ukulele - - maybe.

No comments: